From 1 October 2019, some visitors must have an Electronic Travel Authority and pay an International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy before travelling to New Zealand.
The NZeTA is being introduced by the Government to enable enhanced border security checks while also helping reduce the time needed for border clearance.
The International Visitor Levy (IVL) is a way for travellers to contribute directly to the tourism infrastructure they use and to help protect and enhance the natural environment they will enjoy during their stay in New Zealand.
Who needs an NZeTA?
Travellers must request an NZeTA before they travel to New Zealand if they are:
- visiting or in transit from a visa waiver country (a country whose passport holders do not require a visa to travel to New Zealand)
- travelling on a passport from a visa waiver country, or a transit visa waiver country, and in transit through Auckland International Airport
- a cruise ship passenger, regardless of nationality, or
- a permanent resident of Australia
Who does not need an NZeTA?
Travellers do not need an NZeTA to travel to New Zealand if they:
- must apply for a New Zealand visa before they travel
- already hold a valid New Zealand visa
- are a New Zealand citizen travelling on a New Zealand passport, or, a foreign passport with an endorsement
- are an Australian citizen travelling on an Australian passport
When can travellers request an NZeTA?
The online application system will be available to the public from July 2019.
Travellers, or their agents, should request an NZeTA well in advance of the trip to New Zeland. It can take up to 72 hours to approve an NZeTA. Travellers that do not hold an NZeTA when checking in for flights or cruises will not be allowed to board. Travellers may be able to request and NZeTA when they check in but if it cannot be processed in time, or is declined, they will not be allowed to board.
How to request an NZeTA and pay for IVL
From July 2019 there will be two ways to request an NZeTA and pay for IVL:
- Use the Immigration NZ mobile app which can be downloaded to a mobile phone
- Complete the Immigration NZ website form on immigration.govt.nz
Register here to be notified when the NZeTA system goes live in July.
How much does it cost?
An NZeTA costs:
- NZD$9 for requests via the mobile app
- NZ$12 for requests via the website form the IVL costs NZD$35 for each person travelling to New Zealand and is charged in the same transaction as the NZeTA.
Will travel agents be able to request an NZeTA on behalf of a customer?
Travel agents and other travel professionals will be able to download the NZeTA mobile app or visitor the Immigration NZ website to assist their customers with NZeTA requests and pay for NZeTA/IVL on behalf of their customers.
Travel agents must be aware that they will need to provide information about a customer’s criminal conviction history and whether they are seeking medical treatment in New Zealand as part of the NZeTA request. Travel agents must also ensure that they have the traveller’s consent to request an NZeTA on their behalf.
For more information on the NZeTA please view the New Zealand Immigration Website.